James Cook University is committed to protecting your privacy
and complying with legislation governing the handling of personal
information. Personal information collected through electronic
traffic will be used only for the University's educational,
research and administrative processes, unless you consent to
release of the information for other purposes; or discovery is
required by Freedom of Information or similar legislation. For
administrative reporting purposes, James Cook University collates
specific statistical information from electronic traffic.
What personal information do we collect and store?
James Cook University's web proxy servers log client usage and record the following information in relation to internal clients for statistics and cost recovery:
- the loginID and IP address for the requesting client;
- the date, time and duration of requests to the sites;
- the URLs of sites visited by the client when browsing off campus;
- the URLs and sizes of pages and documents downloaded.
James Cook University's web servers log client usage and record the following information in relation to external visitors for statistics and cost recovery:
- the IP address of the requesting client;
- the date and time of the visit;
- the page/s accessed;
- the status and size of the access;
- the loginID for pages where authentication is required to access restricted information;
- the browser, version and operating system of the requesting client.
James Cook University's mail servers log client usage and record the following information for statistics and cost recovery:
- the sender and receiver addresses;
- the size of the message received and the delay time to deliver.
James Cook University's phone systems log the following information regarding off-campus outgoing calls for statistics and cost recovery:
- the client's phone number;
- the call duration and dialed number;
- the date and the time of the call.
Respecting Your Privacy
James Cook University takes every precaution to protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, you should note there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information via the Internet. Therefore you should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to transmit information to James Cook University by electronic means.
For More Information
If you believe James Cook University has not adhered to these principles, please notify us in writing, addressed to: The Privacy Contact Officer, James Cook University, Townsville QLD 4811